Sunday, February 7, 2010

Black & White, and Red All Over

My Gentleman Farmer was out plowing our driveway yesterday and I went out to snap a few pictures. I was struck by the the white snow, white sky, and brown trees as a backdrop and then this brilliant red tractor popping out of the scene.   



So I decided to have a little fun with photo editing and see if I could make it even more brilliant in an actual black and white photo.   

If you didn't know any better, I could've told you this picture was taken 60 years ago. Since our little farm place was built in 1950, it is very likely some little old lady has a similar picture of her husband bundled up in his Carhart doing this very same thing 60 years ago. And there were probably people out ice fishing on this very lake 60 years ago just like the little specs of ice houses you see in the background.

When Aaron was done plowing, he snapped a few pictures of me with our black and white dogs in the white snow and brown trees.  And I swear I didn't plan this.  I really just happened to be wearing a red jacket.  And our workshop really does have red paint chipping off the window trim.  I didn't notice this red theme until I was reviewing all of the pictures later.  That's when I got creative.


I kid you now when I tell you I have had this jacket for 12 years.  I brought it out of retirement this year after it had been hanging in my closet collecting dust for years.  I had to rip off ski tags on there from 2000 and brought it back to life as my winter dog walking jacket and grapevine pruning jacket.  Any jacket that has withstood the test of time from my high school days to my vineyard wife days is worthy of a little attention in a picture, don't you think?


Now that I look at it, I kind of feel like the little girl in the red coat in the black and white film, Schindler's List.  Not to be a downer.  This is a much happier scene. 


I've always thought a little red in picture, or a piece of art, or a room makes it complete.