Monday, January 3, 2011

"Did You Pack the Wine?"

I am still here!  Still pregnant.  The calls, emails and text messages have already begun, everyone checking in to see if anything is happening with Schrambino.  The other night for instance, I had my phone in the bedroom while I was downstars with Aaron. 

7:17pm I missed a call from my mom
7:23pm, missed a second call from my mom
7:31pm she texted me, "Where are you?"

At 7:33pm, Aaron says, "I missed a call from your Mom.  She left a voicemail." 

She thought I might be in labor and hadn't informed her.   Moms.  Gotta love 'em.  Aaron was quick to remind me that I am going to be a mother very soon and will probably be doing that same thing.  It also probably doesn't help that we have a baby pool going in my family and every one is checking in on their predicted delivery date to see if they are going to win. 

Thank you to everyone checking in and thinking about us!  Due date is next Tuesday, 1/11/11, which would be such a cool birthday, but if he decides to come early, I won't complain! 

I had two weeks off of work over the holidays and spent it mostly at home, rotating between two pairs of sweatpants and three sweatshirts.  It.was.awesome.  I don't remember the last time I had two weeks to be a bum and don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.  In just a few short months, we'll be back to vineyard and garden work with twice as many vines and one more person to care for this year.  That Baby Bjorn is going to come in really handy this spring and summer!  So I relished these few weeks where the new Jeep had minimal miles put on it, the dogs got lots of love and attention, the house was cleaned, the nursery ready to go, the hospital bag packed, and I got completely caught up on a certain Showtime drama.


Tux and Belle have been spending some quality time in the nursery.  And despite the many questions we've gotten as to whether we would do a "grape" or "wine" theme nursery...


We, um...ahem...decided that might be a little overboard.  I mean, as charming and totally appropriate as a wine theme baby room would be...

We went with a western theme for our little boy.

But we did get the cutest homemade grape pattern blanket from Aaron's sister-in-law, so he'll get a little exposure to grapes early on!  It is a good accent. 

On Monday, I returned to work and it felt good to put make-up on and actually go out in public.  My plan is to work until he comes.  Last night, I was going over our "plan" with Aaron.  What happens if I go into labor at work?  Who is going to let the dogs out?  Then, I made sure to let him know that the red bag in our bedroom is the hospital bag.  This has been something that has been of minimal concern to me considering the hospital is about 2 miles from our house.  I figure if there is something we absolutely need that the hospital doesn't provide, I can send Aaron on a quick errand back home.  I told him our bag had some comfy clothes for me, Schrambino's coming home outfit, and our overnight toiletries, and asked if he could think of anything else we need or want for the hospital. 

"Did you pack the wine?" he asked. 

That was really the first thing that came to his mind.  The wine. 

Leave it to my husband to be focused on the really important things...like do we have the celebration wine to toast to this special event in our life? 

Not, "is the camera charged and packed?" or "is the carseat ready to go?"

But, of utmost importance, did you pack the wine for the hospital!!?

Let me explain.

I mentioned in a post a while back about Schramsberg sparkling wine and how I was looking forward to popping a celebration bottle after the baby arrives.  My sweet husband took note and surprised me with a bottle of their top shelf sparkling wine for Christmas!  It is the Schramsberg J. Schram Reserve and he thought my first taste of wine after 10 months of being dry, should be a good one.  And I can't wait to taste it, not just because it is such a quality wine, but more so because of the event it will be marking! 

Do you think the nurses will put it on ice for us?


We don't have an official name picked out yet.  We have had our list narrowed down to two names for several months and we just haven't been able to decide.  Coincidentally, one of those names begins with 'J', which would make our J. Schram wine especially appropriate. BUT, we are not going to let that influence our decision.  People have told us that we will just know what name is right for him when we see him.  And I hope they are right!!  I've been going crazy not knowing what we will call him! 

Signing off for now, but I promise to post baby news as soon as we have some to share!