Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Next 30 Years

Today, I am 30. Sigh. I am newly married, and although not yet a mother, already live in a place where I can envision my grandchildren come visit me. It's a strange thought, but also comforting to think I could double my lifetime in this very spot and still have just as much adventure, discovery, and development as my first thirty years, especially considering I moved at least 8 times just in my 20s.  My first 30 years have been wonderfully eventful, full of firsts, and every moment and decision ultimately brought me to the happy and interesting place I am today, which I could never have predicted or planned even if I tried.  So today, instead of sitting home and plucking my gray hairs, agonizing over fine lines, lamenting on my adolescent years and carefree 20s now behind me (because I would never do that), I can't help but think about what lies ahead in my next 30 years.  Which brings to mind the song by Tim McGraw, "My Next 30 Years."

I think I’ll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it’s time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years

Hey my next thirty years I’m gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I’ve done
Maybe now I’ve conquered all my adolescent fears
And I’ll do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I’m gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I’m doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I’m gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I’ll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here , In my next thirty years



Except....I will "hang out with my" husband. Not my wife.  And let's be honest, I'll probably drink more wine and less lemonade.  We're not growing any lemons here!  Other than those few lines, this song rings true. 
 
Bring on the next 30.  I think it will be just as gripping a tale.