Sunday, April 4, 2010

Reality Check: From Ocean Waves to Garden Hose

The sun was shining when I woke up this morning, so I leapt out of bed and instinctively repeated the routine I've known for the past seven days.  I got changed and went to the kitchen.  The sound of the blender must have woken Aaron up, because he came in the kitchen moments later to find me in my bathing suit with a bottle of tequila in my hand. 

"Buenos dias!"  I exclaimed. 

"Sweetheart?  What are you doing?"  His voice had that morning scratch and he rubbed his eyes as the sunlight came through the kitchen windows.    

"What does it look like I'm doing?  I'm making marga-rrrritas!!"  I said, rolling my R's.  "Check the refrigerator and see if we have any strawberries I can throw in here."

He walked over to me cautiously, gently pulled my hand away from the blender, and patted me on the head.  "Honey....we're back home now.  In Minnesota. And it's Easter Sunday."  His tone only slightly condescending as he looked me in the eyes. "Why don't I make you some coffee while you go change and get ready.  I know this church is progressive, but I don't think bikinis are allowed."

Returning from vacation is tough.  There was a time when putting my swimsuit on at 8am and wearing it for 12 hours straight was totally normal.  A time when having a strawberry margarita for breakfast wasn't frowned upon, but actually encouraged.  A time when eating pico de gallo and tortilla chips for three meals a day was a diet being strictly followed by every one in my company.  And a time when bartering was expected rather than an act that made me feel like an idiot-- like the check-out guy at Target made me feel today when I asked him, "Amigo, what's your best price on this face cream?  Two dollars?  Will you take two? Let's make a deal."  He just looked at me puzzled.  

Yes, there was a time for all of that.  For me, that time was last week.  But not today.  At least according to my husband. He forced me back to reality whether I liked it or not.

I put the bottle of tequila down and looked at him defeated as my reality snapped back.  "Okay.  But can I at least go lay out in the sun this afternoon and finish reading my beach novel?"

"Nope," he said. "Back to the real world.  We've got a lot to do today and I'm putting you to work this afternoon.  We have grapevines to tend to.  I need you to get the new grapevines ready in the greenhouse while I spray in the field." 

I frowned. 

"C'mon.  I really need your help," he pleaded.  "You can write about it on the blog?"   His pitch an octave higher, as if he were trying to persuade a four year old. 

"My what?" I asked.

"Your blog, honey.  Remember?"

"Oh, yeah. My blog."

So here I am.  After my brief hiatus from blogland and week long Mexican vacation (aka, Ashley's la-la land), I am doing my best to remember my old day-to-day routine, the one I had before I discovered breakfast margaritas.  Apparently that isn't as widely accepted here in America.  I need a little time to acclimate back to our culture here.

We did thoroughly enjoy our vacation, and got along amazingly well considering we were traveling with my entire family.  All 22 of us.  Just missing one of my nephews.


During the week, Aaron would occassionally let me know that the spring weather had arrived in Minnesota and vineyard season would be in full swing when we got back.  But it was hard to feel the urgency in preparing for that that while we were walking down the beach thousands of miles from home.  Yesterday, I was splashed in the face with the salty waves of the ocean.  Today, I got sprayed in the face with a garden hose.  It was a difficult transition. 

Since we returned home to beautiful weather, it made going outside to work a little easier.  I got most of our garden seeds planted in the greenhouse, I got the Marquette clippings into their planting containers so they are ready for planting come May 22nd.  I even  hosed down and shampooed our dogs outside today, because when we got home yesterday, they smelled like they had been rolling in poo all week.  I'm sure they have some great stories of their own, being away from mom and dad for a week. 

Slowly but surely, I am mentally returning back to reality.  And when Aaron walked by the greenhouse and saw me making castles out of the potting soil, he just shook his head.  Don't worry, honey.  I'll be back to normal soon.  I just need a little time.