Saturday, June 19, 2010

Father of the Bride: Big Juicy Grapes

The other day, I posted some highlights from our wedding, June 19th, 2009.  Being our anniversary and Father's Day all on the same weekend, I thought it only appropriate to have a post dedicated to another big highlight from our wedding: The Father of the Bride speech.  It was unforgettable, entertaining, and so...my dad.  This toast has undoubtedly gone unmatched to all Father of the Bride toasts in history.  But maybe I am biased.


This is my dad addressing the crowd before dinner.  Probably looks like any other Father of the Bride addressing a crowd, right? 


But then he pulled out this violin.  The crowd held their breath and waited in anticipation.  And I sat a blushing bride wondering what my goofball father had up his sleeve this time.


You see, my dad doesn't play the violin.  Not one lick.

For a split of a split second, I thought he had learned how to play and had kept it a surprise until my wedding day.  But then I knew better.  And I think most people in attendance knew my theatrical father well enough to know he was likely going to pull out something extraordinary.


As he began to "sing" his father of the bride speech, we quickly learned the violin was just a prop to throw us off. 

And within moments, he had the guests all singing along.


He left big shoes to fill for the Pastor who came up next to give the blessing. 

My dad wrote the lyrics to this song, sung to the tune of "Sweet Violets", a tune we used to sing around the campfire.  He lost 20 lbs before our wedding because he would walk nearly 5 miles every day composing the lyrics and memorizing the song for his big moment.

And it was a huge hit.  Here it is...

****
Big juicy grapes. Big and red and juicy. Covered all over from head to toe. Covered all over with big juicy grapes.


There once was a farmer who took a young miss in back of the bar where he gave her a ...
lecture on tractors and vineyards and farms. He wanted to hold her right there in his ...
memory as someone who loved him and then if she did, they'd move to Waconia and raise their first...


Big juicy grapes. Big and red and juicy. Covered all over from head to toe. Covered all over with big juicy grapes.


The girl told the farmer that he'd better stop. Then she called her father and he called a ...
family reunion to think this thing out, but they all stood up and they gave a great ...
sigh of relief cause the search was now done and they knew for certain that Aaron's the ...
person who surely was sent from above to give their dear Ashley a lifetime of...


Big juicy grapes. Big and red and juicy. Covered all over from head to toe. Covered all over with big juicy grapes.


The farmer decided he'd wed anyway. So she stared planning for her wedding ... 
party but then she was just out of luck. Her Mom and her Dad were down to their last ... 
daughter and that's why tonight when we dine, it's chicken and water not prime rib and ...


Big juicy grapes. Big and red and juicy. Covered all over from head to toe. Covered all over with big juicy grapes.


I know that you think that my song is now done. Pastor Dave's waiting so I've got to ...
think of a way to get out of this rhyme. The schedule is tight and I haven't got ...
Anything much left that needs to be said. I know that you'd rather be home in your ...
house where your lives will now start. Just know that I love you with all of my ...


Big juicy grapes. Big and red and juicy. Covered all over from head to toe. Covered all over with big juicy grapes.

****

Thank you, Dad, for such a unique speech and for capturing our story so well.  I wouldn't have expected anything less from you!  I still have friends singing Big, Juicy Grapes out of the blue to me. Happy Father's Day!


And to the rest of you, thanks for putting up with me and my wedding highlights this anniversary weekend.  I wanted to do it before I am no longer considered a newlywed!  Back to the real world next week where I will update you on our growing-like-crazy vineyard and my 72 lettuce plants.  And remember to enter to win a wine stopper from my previous post by next Tuesday night!