Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Millie

Last week, we said goodbye to the matriarch of the Schram family--Grandma Millie.  She was a farmer's wife, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and great-GREAT grandmother and she was completely and utterly adored by all.  She was Aaron's grandma and lived right next door to him on the family farm growing up.  She played a significant role in his and his siblings upbringing after their mother died when they were very young.

She lived a wonderful and full life until the very end at age 96.  I only met Millie for the first time when she was 90 years old and even then I was inspired by her abundant garden (which she managed to keep better weeded than mine), amazing cookies (molasses were my favorite), and kind and loving heart.  I wrote a little bit about Millie a few years ago when she came for a visit from Wisconsin here.

At age 95, she got her "I Love Lucy" moment and got to do her first ever grape stomp!  Here she is with her sister, Velda (left), in September 2011.



And here she is getting an ATV ride from Aaron's brother in-law around the vineyard!


Although we didn't know it at the time, we were fortunate to have seen her at Thanksgiving one last time.  When I couldn't decide between her rhubarb and blueberry pies, in hindsight, I am so glad I decided to treat myself to a slice of each.  Yes, she still brought multiple homemade desserts to Thanksgiving dinner just a few months ago!

And we are so thankful she got a chance to meet her youngest great-grandchild.



RIP Grandma Millie.  Your legacy will be carried on at Schram Vineyards.