Tuesday, July 2, 2013

An Open Letter to my Husband

Dear Aaron,

When you looked at me the other day and asked, "Are we insane?" I had to laugh.  Has it really taken you until now to realize that?!  Yes, we are insane, but that's what makes this special.

In the last few weeks, Father's Day, our Anniversary AND your birthday all passed with nothing more than a mere acknowledgment of the day in the morning with a peck on the cheek.  Just because we just had too much other stuff to concentrate on, doesn't mean I didn't want to do something special for you.  I mean, I don't even think I let you sleep in on your birthday and I think the only "gift" I got you was your favorite Blizzard flavor from DQ.  Hope you liked it!   We did spend our 4 year anniversary bottling wine and that was an appropriate celebration.

Since we have so little time to sit back and reflect, I thought it was important to take a few of my very spare moments to do just that.  We are scrambling still getting everything ready for our opening, but one thing I want you to know...you're the coolest guy I know.

The day we met, you told me your dream was to have a vineyard and open a winery one day.  I really thought it was a pie in the sky dream.  How one might say, "I want to be an astronaut and go to the moon one day!"

I've watched you work tirelessly day in and day out for the last five years to make this happen and it hasn't been easy.  Blood, sweat, and tears in its literal translation.  It has been exciting and often times very stressful. But you have used your best project management skills and "can do" attitude to make this all happen.   You have challenged me every day and although I want to ring your neck sometimes, you have pushed me to grow as a person too.   I know you have wished recently that you had more time to spend with our little ones the last few months, but you know what, you are giving them a pretty special gift.  They may not get it yet, but they see you working hard every.single.day.  You had a dream and you are making it happen.  Who does that?  Now when we tell them they can do anything they put their mind too, you are living proof of that being done. That's pretty cool.

We are not there yet, but we are darn close.  Good work, my Gentleman Farmer.  I'm proud of you.

Love,
Ashley